EV Charging – Powering Your Future
Electric vehicles have been around for many years now. In the not-too-distant future, they will be the default option, giving us cleaner and low-carbon emission transport for many years to come.
You may already have an electric vehicle or are thinking about making the move for your company or private use. If so, you may have some questions:
- Which EV Charging Point should you choose?
- What’s the difference between the different types of EV Charger?
- How much do they cost to install?
- Do I qualify for funding?
McDevitt Electrical & Controls Ltd are here to guide you through the process of selecting and installing the perfect EV Charging Point for your needs.
We are a specialist installer of EV charging points, approved by the government OLEV home scheme and the WCS workplace scheme.
Let’s look at the available options.
When looking at EV Charging Points for the workplace, there are many options to consider, such as:
- Will the user need to pay for charging their electric vehicle?
- If so, which system would you like to use, e.g. key switch, coin/token, EV Group Manager and EV Charge?
- Would you like your charging points to be branded with your company logos and colour scheme?
Whatever your needs, we can usually tailor a package to suit your budget and specific requirements.
Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS)
The Workplace Charging Scheme is a voucher-based scheme to assist companies switching their vehicle fleets from petrol/diesel over to electric.
The scheme offers grants of up to £350 per charging point, up to a maximum of 40 sockets per applicant.
The application process is straightforward, with an online application portal here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/workplace-charging-scheme-application-form
Simply, complete the application, and you will be notified if you qualify for the vouchers. Once issued, the vouchers are valid for six months (180 days).
All you have to do is present the voucher to us (as OLEV-approved WCS installers), and we can carry out the installation.
Here are a few examples of different charging points we recommend for the workplace. Have a browse through then contact us to discuss further on 01282 839 208
Our EV Charging Points for the Workplace
The domestic charging point market has boomed in recent times, with options to cover every requirement.
It may seem daunting when you first start looking at domestic charging points, but it’s quite straightforward.
Essentially, there are two types of charging units – tethered and untethered (socketed).
Tethered Charging Points
As the name suggests, tethered units have a charging cable built in to the unit. The advantages of this type are:
- Ease of use as you won’t need to hunt around your boot for your charging cable when you get home.
- Tethered cables are difficult to steal as they are securely attached to the unit. With replacement cables costing over £100, it’s a factor to consider.
- Safety, as you can tidy away and store your cable without it hanging around and causing a potential trip hazard.
Untethered Charging Points
Unlike a tethered charge point, an untethered one doesn’t have an inbuilt charging cable. The advantages of this type are:
- Flexibility as the driver isn’t constrained to a particular type of cable. It’s also useful if the household has other electric vehicles with different connectors.
- You can use any length of charging cable that suits your needs. Cable options are limited with tethered units which may cause problems if you have to park in a different place occasionally.
- As electric vehicles become more widespread, you may have visitors who need to charge their cars so increased flexibility may be a factor to consider.
Once that decision is made, the rest is easy as it’s down to the colour and style you’d prefer.
OLEV Grant Assistance
You may have heard of the OLEV grant for home, electric vehicle charge points. This is a grant of up to £350 towards the cost of purchasing and installing your domestic charging point.
As fully approved OLEV installers, we can help with the application for this funding. All you need to do is answer a few eligibility questions and we can do the rest for you. Call us to find out if you’re eligible.
Here are some examples of the charging units we install. Have a browse through then contact us to discuss further on 01282 839 208
Our EV Charging Units for Home Use